On Wednesday, the city prosecutor of Newport News, Virginia, announced that he won’t pursue charges against the 6-year-old boy who shot his elementary school teacher in January.
Although a 6-year-old could legally be charged under Virginia law, Newport News Commonwealth Attorney Howard Gwynn told NBC News that he had doubts about the boy’s capacity to understand the charges or court system.
The “prospect that a 6-year-old can stand trial is problematic,” said Gwynn.
Though the child will not be prosecuted, he’s still deliberating whether any adults involved in the incident could face criminal responsibility.
In January the boy in question reportedly brought a gun to school and shot his first-grade teacher. People were immediately critical of school leadership as they were allegedly alerted to the presence of a gun before the incident. The ensuing fallout resulted in the departure of several school and district administrators.
The teacher, Abby Zwerner was initially hospitalized with serious injuries but has since been released.
[…] the latest in a string of incidents involving elementary students and firearms. Earlier this year, a 6-year-old boy reportedly shot his teacher after obtaining a gun from […]
[…] 6-Year-Old boy won’t be charged for shooting his teacher […]